Extra help is offered to children where there is a concern around their communication and language development and / or the language environment at home. This extra support is offered from those already working with the child and their family and in addition to that offered to every child.
Criteria for accessing extra help from those already involved
- Children who score ‘grey or black’ using the ASQ-3 screening tool; and/or
- Children score ‘white’ but there is a concern around the home learning environment
- Green or Amber at chronological age on WellComm screen
- Child below age-related expectation within the EYFS; and/or
- Parental or professional concern.
Further WellComm assessment guidance
Complete a Wellcomm Assessment
- Green = Continue with ‘Every Child’ offer;
- Amber = Carry out appropriate activity from the Big Book of Ideas (BBI) with family and reassess after 3 months. Consider signposting to a Let’s Get Talking group;
- After reassessment, if continue to score Amber, continue with reassessment and contact EYCLDS for advice & guidance; and
- Red= Carry out appropriate activity from BBI, plus contact Early Years Communication and Language Development Service (EYCLDS) for specific Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG).
- Extra Help section from the Pathway
- Early Years Communication and Language Development Service
- 5 Golden Rules
- Bolton Start Well at Home (Facebook)
- Bolton Start Well Centres
- Referral for Let's Get Talking (6 week online sessions)
Using the WellComm Toolkit in an early years setting
Vicky, an early years practitioner in Bolton, discusses using the WellComm Toolkit with children in early years. Vicky talks about the importance of involving parents and carers within the assessment, as well as keeping Public Health Nurses informed.
The role of the Speech & Language Therapist within the Pathway
Kat, a Bolton Start Well Speech and Language Therapist, provides an overview to the role of the Early Years Speech and Language Therapist within the 'Every Child' and 'Extra Help' sections of the Bolton Integrated Early Years Communication and Language Pathway.
Supporting children through additional learning interventions in Early Years settings and school
- Language through Listening programme
- Nursery Narrative
For more information on these learning interventions and to access the training, visit the Courses section of the Bolton Start Well website here